• History is to be shared.
• Dr. Sun Yat-Sen’s six years in Penang is a significant period of Penang’s history.
• Our knowledge is hampered by the lack of published literature for the six years period when Dr. Sun used it as his Far East Headquaters.
DR. SUN YAT-SEN’S EARLY DAYS IN PENANG
• In 1905, he arrived in Penang.
• Penang and Singapore were the places nearest to China where he could disembark.
• He met Goh Say Eng and Ng Kim Kheng at the Xiao Lan Ting Club.
THE STORY OF OOI GIM PEIA
• another righteous man who was one of the youngest members . At 15 years old joined the Tung Meng Hui.
• Money can make the world go round”.
• “Power can make your money mine”.
THE BIRTH OF PENANG PHILOMATHIC UNION
• To propagate revolutionary deeds and act as offices for the same purpose.
• Meeting was held at Sooi Hock Garden, led by Goh Say Eng.
• Downturn in the economy posed a challenge – Penang Philomathic Union or Kwong Wah Yit Poh ?
• Wang Jing Wei was appointed to draft the rules and regulations.
• In 1908, the Penang Philomathic Union named by Dr Sun was established.
• Kwong Wah Yit Poh (the oldest surviving Chinese newspaper in the world) was established in 1910.
THE PROGRESS OF THE PENANG PHILOMATHIC UNION
• S.E. Asia Tung Meng Hui headquater was moved from Singapore to Penang in 1909.
• Purchased 16 & 18 Malay Street , one to be used as office and another for Kwong Wah Jit Poh.
THE PENANG CONFERENCE
• Held on Nov. 13, 1910 at 120 Armenian Street.
• Turning point for the history of China.
• Established Penang Chung Ling Primary School and Fukien Girls School.
• Established Chung Cheng Night School by the Sanminzhuyi Youth Group.
THE PENANG PHILOMATHIC UNION ASPIRATIONS
• To established Dr Sun Yat-Sen’s Museum.